Gertie's New Fashion Sketchbook
Indispensable Figure Templates for Body-Positive Design
- Publication Date: September 8, 2015
- Imprint: STC Craft
- Trim Size: 8 1⁄2 x 9 11⁄16
- ISBN: 978-1-61769-173-7
- Page Count: 144
- Illustrations: 360 illustrations
- Rights: World/All
For Gertie’s New Fashion Sketchbook, Gretchen Hirsch teamed up with illustrator Sun Young Park to reinvent traditional figure templates—known as croquis—for the 21st century. Instead of the unnaturally skinny, tall, and frequently off-balance croquis the fashion industry has been sketching on for decades, this game-changing alternative presents hundreds of realistically sized and proportioned female forms in balanced, lifelike poses. In addition, Park has rendered the croquis with multiple tracing lines, allowing the sketcher to follow the lines that most accurately reflect the body shape desired. Also included are an overview of the design and sketching process and a visual history of garment component styles, all to make it easier to create fashion sketches for women of all shapes and sizes.
- A body-positive sketchpad to help you achieve your fashion design dreams.
- Loaded with more than 300 figure templates that are proportionally true to the female form and adaptable to different body types, plus helpful sketching tips and resources.
- A breakthrough for aspiring and experienced designers tired of the industry standard of sketching clothing on female figures that are unnaturally skinny and tall (and sometimes even off-balance).
- Printed in a special ink that fades away when you photocopy it.
About the author
Gretchen “Gertie” Hirsch is author of Gertie’s New Book for Better Sewing and Gertie Sews Vintage Casual. She is the creator of Gertie’s New Blog for Better Sewing. She has a pattern line with Butterick and a fabric line with Fabric Traditions. She teaches sewing around the country, on PBS’s It's Sew Easy, on Craftsy.com, and on Creativebug.com.